Saturday, January 8, 2011

I am a Reader

From my earliest memories, I remember watching my dad read books and magazines and newspapers.  When he was at home he read something, and when he was traveling I remember books being packed in his suitcase.  I do not remember my mom reading quite as much for pleasure as my dad.  Every day she would read the newspaper, and I have vivid memories of her reading with me.
Books have always been a staple in my life.  At five years old, I remember having the Disney book and a 45 record (telling my age with that), and holding it up for my dolls and stuffed animals to see.  At that age I knew that stories and reading were important, and whether I was reading or listening I was developing the desire to be a life long story enthusiast.
Once I became a parent books were just as important.  For holidays, celebrations, and day to day books were presented to my sons.  We would read together, and their interpertations of stories would tickle my insides before they could read the words printed.  Fortunately, they continue to enjoy reading for pleasure at the ripe old ages of fifteen and twelve.  Of course, the books often reflect their current interests which is something I do not always understand, but at least they are reading and expanding their mind.
As a child, I was very much a girly girl who loved stories of princesses and happily ever after.  Cinderella, Snow White, and Lady and the Tramp were probably the most worn and tattered books I had.  Since having boys in my life and working with young children, I would say that by far my favorite children's book is "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak.  The idea that Max can have an adventure that takes him on a journey before returning home demonstrates the power of the imagination and creativity of young children.
Books and stories will always be a part of my life.  I read as a child and an adult.  I read as a parent.  I read as a teacher and student.  I will read as a grandparent - many years from now, of course.  I am a reader!

2 comments:

  1. Where the Wild Things Are is my absolute favorite!
    Many memories of Dad reading - National Geographic and Reader's Digest. Mom not as much.
    Lots in common, look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Families can play a large role in our attitudes about reading. I love how your posting captures family influence throughout the generations - what you learned both from the model of your parents and from the experience of your sons.

    ReplyDelete